Thursday 13 November 2014

movies with kirsty: unorthodox romances

I feel like everybody's watching Titanic and The Notebook over and over again. Come on guys, we need to branch out. Stop kidding yourself. Channing Tatum isn't that hot and Dear John isn't even that good. So this post is dedicated to some of my favourite underdogs in the romance section; if you've not seen them, take my advice. PLEASE TRUST ME.

Take This Waltz (2011)


Ok, so I have no idea why I have never heard anybody talking about this film. With such an allstar cast (WilliamsRogenSilverman) you would expect it to be just another ridiculously overhyped romcom. But this film is different - I swear. It's funny and sweet, but also a brutally honest portrayal of love and heartbreak. It challenges the idealism of marriage while maintaining a unique lightheartedness. Really special, and really human. God bless Canada.

Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987)


Everyone was too busy freaking out over The Breakfast Club, I feel that this little gem has been overlooked. The film focuses on on two best friends - Keith, the shy sensitive artist, Watts, the leather-wearing drumming tomboy, and the popular and elusive Amanda Jones. It is a cliche and cheesy story about being a teenager in high school and falling in love with the wrong person, that might end up being the right one. Basically, everything you have ever dreamed of. Or something you'll pretend to hate, but you actually know all the words to the scene in the garage.(In this instant, we are all Gigi from He's Just Not That Into You. yes I also love that film but that's besides the point)

Amelie (2001)


I saw the start of this film in a French class years ago and decided to watch it all by myself. I don't know if that was a good idea or not, as now I'm extremely protective over this movie and am apprehensive about recommending it in case someone have something bad to say about it. This film could be called a romance, if only for the fact that you will fall completely in love with the heroine. Played be Audrey Tautou, she epitomises everything this film is about. It's quirky, charming, witty and completely beautiful. And will probably make you rethink your attitudes about people that work in sex shops.

Stardust (2007)


Possibly in my top ten favourite films of all time. Also what I blame for the disconcerting surge of emotion I get whenever I hear Rule The World by Take That. Stardust has everything I could ever want: fantasy, swashbuckling, witches, strong female leads, Ricky Gervais having the power of speech removed...the list goes on. I enjoyed it when I was ten, and love it even more now I actually understand all the jokes. It ticks all the boxes - romance, period drama, fantasy, comedy - and from what I've heard, a faithful book adaptation. I am betraying my own morals by admitting I have yet to read Neil Gaiman's novel. It's on my to-do list.


No comments:

Post a Comment