Sunday 5 July 2015

london trip 2015

Sightseeing


Sometimes u just gotta embrace your inner annoying tourist
I just got back yesterday from a 5 day holiday to the capital - as I watch the torrential rain I'm already missing the ridiculous heat we experienced this week! As you can see from the unbelievably blue sky in my photos, we couldn't have picked a better time to visit London, with temperatures rising up to 34 degrees. This was a real shock to my little Scottish brain that thinks 19 degrees is positively tropical, but I absolutely loved it. Although seeing Westminster and Buckingham Palace was pretty astounding, one of my favourite destinations to visit was King's Cross Station. As someone who is still a massive Harry Potter fan it has always been a dream of mine to see the real platform 9 & 3/4 - it was an emotional and weirdly nostalgic moment for me.


Warner Bros Studio Tour



Okay so after visiting King's Cross and the Millennium Bridge, my inner HP fan was pretty happy. My contentedness level went into OVERDRIVE here. At the start of tour, they play a short video in a cinema about the origin of Harry Potter and the studio tour. I started crying during this because I was so emotional about seeing clips from the films on the big screen again, which I think sets the tone for my day pretty well. It was so surreal and wonderful walking through these places that I had pictured whilst reading the books, then witnessed them being brought to life in the movies. It was incredible how much detail was put into each individual set, costume and prop. A great example of this was the graphic design display, which showed all the newspapers, books and letters made for the films. It included things that didn't even make the final cut, my favourite being the letter Harry finds in Deathly Hallows, written to Sirius from Lily, thanking him for Harry's birthday present. This was a little moment I loved in the book, and it made me so happy to know that efforts were made to include it. (Yes there were more tears.) 

My favourite part of the whole tour was seeing Hogwarts castle. I started reading the books when I was around 6 years old, and since then it has always been a place of sanctuary and comfort to me, almost like a second home. They were also playing Hogwart's Hymn from Goblet of Fire, which is one of my favourite pieces. This was probably one of the happiest moments of my life so far (No, I don't care how sad that is.)

when u cant smile big enough to show how happy you are

Museums


I also visited the Victoria and Albert Museum, which included a huge exhibition about the evolution of popular British clothing and fashion. Although I'm no expert, I'm really interested in fashion and style, so this was a lot of fun. It was cool to see how modern decades had actually been inspired by clothes designed centuries ago. 

We also went to the National Gallery, which was one of the highlights of my whole holiday. I am very big on Impressionism and post-Impressionism, so was absolutely ecstatic to be able to see so many renowned pieces of work by artists I love and admire. Some of my favourites were Monet, Degas and Seurat - although it wasn't his famous Grande Jatte, I still felt like I was Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. And Van Gogh gets a special mention, because he is my ultimate favourite. Yes, I know I'm cliche.  




Wicked






























This is the last thing I'm going to talk about, promise! Wicked has been one of my favourite musicals for a while now - the big catch being that I've never actually seen it live on stage. The original Broadway recording is one of my most-listened-to albums, I've watched countless clips of performances on Youtube, and was already well acquainted with the story. It was fantastic to finally see it in the theatre. It made me laugh and gave me goosebumps and made me cry multiple times. I think I ascended into heaven after Defying Gravity. Even if you're not typically a musical theatre fan, I advise you to go see Wicked if you have the chance!!!

PS. Sorry this post was so long - I just wanted to gush for a while about how much fun I had in London. I can't wait to go back! Be back soon xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment