Monday 22 June 2015

life update

This has been one of the busiest and most emotional months of my life to date, and before it ends next week I'm away to London! It's going to be so busy due to Wimbledon but I can't wait to experience the atmosphere - I'll make a post on it once I'm back. Anyway, back to the present.

Prom


I suppose this would be considered my official highschool send-off; although it plays a staple in so many American teen movies it has become almost a rite of passage here in the UK too. It was a very surreal experience for me, as I had my hair done and a long dress on, two things that very rarely happen for me, and a combination of the two only occurring once in a blue moon. If I ever get married I've decided I don't want a dress with a train - way too much effort. One part I did love was the excuse to wear as much makeup as I wanted! I did it all myself (well, with the help of a Youtube tutorial. The wonders of the internet.) The prom was held at the Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow where we had a 20's Great Gatsby-esque theme. Everything looked so classy and beautiful, even if the drinks were absolutely extortionate! Although I suppose that means I've been able to remember the night a lot better (even if was just to cringe over how bad our DJ was.)

School Show - Back to the 80s


As it was my final year of school, I finally plucked up the courage to audition for a main part in our production of Back to the 80s, and I'm so glad I did!!! I have always enjoyed being a part of the chorus but being a main cast member this year has been so rewarding; not only has it improved my confidence so much, it's also helped me make loads of new friends who I would probably never have spoken to otherwise. I will be sorry to part with my alter ego Sheena Brannigan and all the other people who made up William Ocean High School. On the last night I had the privilege of saying the vote of thanks with a friend, which was a true honour to finally be able to recognise the efforts and enthusiasm of all the wonderful people involved. I think it speaks volumes that on my official last day of school I was completely unphased, but once the curtains drew on our closing night, the floodgates opened and I was crying uncontrollably. No matter if you perceive yourself to be talented or not, I encourage everyone to get involved in a musical production at some point in your life - I promise you won't regret it. 

Total Eclipse of the Heart <3
Other stuff...


Although my reading pace may have been a bit slower than usual due to endless show rehersals I've still been keeping up with my Goodreads challenge. A Room With A View is what I'm currently making my way through, but I've read a lot of great books lately, including Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and Longbourn by Jo Baker. I also finished Persuasion, meaning I've read all of Jane Austen's completed novels (I am officially a fledgling Janeite.) I've got lots of other books that I plan to read this year too - maybe a future blog post? 

Thanks to the godsend that is Netflix I've also caught up with all of Orange is the New Black series 3. Seriously, if you've somehow missed the massive buzz surrounding this show, please go watch it. It will warm your heart and break it in half and make you laugh and probably change your attitudes towards a lot of things. 

As I've said I am going on holiday next week so expect more posts soon! What have you all got planned for summer? 


No comments:

Post a Comment